This year we will be bringing our student's culinary knowledge to a new level. There is no need to fear the kitchen. With a little bit of knowledge, anyone can cook like a professional. So join us on our journey while we cover the following topic:
- Food Safety and Sanitation- food bourne illnesses, cross contamination, basic kitchen safety practices, temperatures.
- Kitchen Basics- proper measuring practices, kitchen tools and equipment, culinary terminology, safe knife skills and knife cuts.
- Fruits and vegetables- identification of various fruits and vegetables, their properties and taste, cooking and preparation methods, and salads and dressings,
- Soups and basic sauces
- Grains- Rice, how to make pasta from scratch, Quick and yeast breads, sandwiches types and properties.
- Nutrition- vitamins and minerals, Body mass index, fats, carbohydrates, and proteins, budget meal planning based on diet.
- Dairy and Eggs- milk products, cheeses and pairings with, custards, egg cookery.
- Breakfast- presentation, cookery
- Cookbook design
In order to facilitate smooth operation of our class, and create a positive learning environment, we need to follow these expectations:
1. Be positive/no complaining
2. Treat others with the same respect you expect
3. Do not disrupt the class, we are all here to learn
4. Misuse of any equipment will result in loss of points for the day
5. You will be graded on procedure, effort, results, clean up, behavior and participation
6. Clean up is extremely important and will be checked before you leave
7. Inappropriate language will not be tolerated
8. An illegal absence will count as a zero for the day
9. Arrive on time Daily
10. Put all attendance slips and passes on my desk at the front of the room
11. Please place your books and bags out of the way
12. Be courteous to the next class and leave the classroom as you found it
13. Much of our class is hands on work/learning so it is important to come ready to learn
14. If you need help ASK. We can only learn when we are open to help.