Norms for Successful Teamwork
Parent Portal Sign-Up Form
Parent Portal Login
Student Media Release Form
Directions for Online Textbook
Login for Online Textbook
Thematic Essay Rubric
DBQ Essay Rubric
NYS Core Curriculum
Welcome to United States History and Government with Mr. Clarke and Mr. Tigue! This course is designed to provide you with a broad overview of American history from the colonial period to the present. Knowing a little history can help you in several ways. After successfully completing this course, you will be able to
Recognize common references to historical events, ideas and people.
Comprehend more of what you read.
Follow the news.
Explain the basic structure of American government.
Apply political, social, and economic concepts to new situations.
Evaluate the accuracy of conflicting sources of information.
Create your own opinions about current issues.
Write persuasive essays using a thesis statement, supporting information and original analysis.
In addition to these objectives, we sincerely hope this class will spark a curiosity that motivates you to continue reading and learning long after this course is finished.
In this course students will focus on finding their own answers to the following questions:
- Considering its tremendous cultural diversity, to what extent has the United States succeeded in creating one nation out of many peoples?
- How effectively has the United States government balanced its needs for security and order with its desire to preserve individual freedoms?
- How do historians use primary sources to learn about the past?
- How can I effectively demonstrate knowledge and express my views in writing and speech?
- How can I learn to read more effectively?